Monday, October 20, 2008

on what is art and who is an artist?....


or rather what is the difference between art, craft, artist, craftsman and just somebody having a hobby.....


I meet (and read) many people proudly saying "I create my art", or "I am an artist"....maybe the word artist has different connotation in English, however, saying that has to fill pretty large shoes by proclaiming such associations...what is art? is art - just state of one's mind...thus art exists "in the eye of the beholder"?...or is art - state of mind properly captured - and thus it needs a proper audience to speak to?....does art need to SPEAK, or does it need to SING?....if art is only what needs an audience, a state of mind clearly seen and communicated to other - how is profanity not artful?...it speaks, it clearly shows the emotion; it even APPEALS to many!


Take new Met's production of Salome....and Karita Matilla's naked stint in the Dance of Seven Veils....for almost a century this opera did away with just a description, musical - and wordful - of the Dance - the infamous dance....and then Met decided on the production with GRAPHICAL depiction of the same scene...and it was wildly successfull! But is is not insulting to the opera hall itself to have strip tease as part of its production - production of a classical opera? Or is this widening the borders and erasing them - in this new century - just like Aida-The Musical, just like Magic Flute in English, just like Marriage of Figaro in Armani costumes?....Is this Salome what was envisioned? Or is it just my old-fashioness, closed-mindedness, when it comes to that I was taught to revere....


So back to crafts. I am most definitely an enthusiast - I realize that I am only an enthusiast...and I do not talk about knitting as of "making art".....and that's a statement. I am proud of finished pieces, VERY proud of them. I am also very proud of some things that just come out unexpectidely, on a spurt of the moment....but I am still stubbornly calling it a hobby. While I call playing Shubert Sonata making art.....


P.S. But I do like this picture, lol. Of the finished product of my HOBBY....against one of only absolute art form - flowers.....

3 comments:

Sofia said...

art as well as craft, in my opinion, comes from inspiration. craft - from all of our human part and art - from the divine rest. we could be crafty and even inspiring to ourselves as well as to others, yet being divine in realizing ideas comes rarely. also, i think, art has many appeals, more than craft, and thus - wider admiration audience. at the same time, craft is easily reproduced, whereas art takes special many points of entry, so to speak...

opera is less and less of high scene this days. good or bad - per personal choice... mine is similar to yours.


off: i like the photos of the shawl on the steps!..

Yulasha said...

I think Art (just like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder... If you admire someone's creation, if your emotions tell you that this is special, unique, and most importantly a reflection of the thought and love and whatever other source that fueled this creation.... it should deserve to be called Art....

p.s. Like Sofia, I also loved the photos of the shawl on the steps!

Vita said...

I will not post any long comments here, just will say that I love seing you all here;) and it is a great start of a wonderful blog! cheers to that!